F8 Features--should they stay or should they go?

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Thu Aug 30 04:10:27 UTC 2007

I would like to discuss the status of our features for F8 at tomorrow's
FESCo meeting.
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/8/FeatureList

With Feature Freeze behind us on 2007-08-28 it is time to make some
decisions about what should live on the final approved feature list.
The feature policy is fairly clear about features that should be dropped.

see: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Policy#drop

In accordance with this policy it would not be out of line to drop
features without recent updates or completion at 100%.  Some of the more
incomplete (less than 50%) or stale features are called out in red.
Conversely if we follow this policy strictly, we will only have a few
features for F8.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/8/FeatureList

The easiest way for me to proceed would be to simply follow the policy
exactly as it reads, however I am sure there are cases where this would
do more harm than good.  On the other hand I have made repeated requests
to some feature owners requesting updates with no reply.  I also believe
that for us to build a consistent release process we need to be
consistent about doing what we say we are going to do--what is the point
of having a policy that we don't really follow?

Question for FESCo--do I have your support to follow the policy and
eliminate features not meeting the criteria or would we like an
exception process?  If we would like to implement an exception policy it
should be simple enough to amend to our existing policy and for me to
track :)

Thank you,
John