Heads up, slight tree path change

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Thu Aug 30 10:30:02 UTC 2007

Rahul Sundaram writes:
 > Andrew Haley wrote:
 > > Douglas McClendon writes:
 > >
 > >  > Then the final question of course would be, since derivative
 > >  > distros of this nature are using binaries actually built by fedora,
 > >  > will fedora be willing to go the extra mile and offer written
 > >  > assurance to keep the source rpms available for 3 years, or
 > >  > whatever the whole fallout from the gpl-derivative-distro thread of
 > >  > recent history was.
 > >  >
 > >  > I mean, it seems plain silly to force derivative distros, that are
 > >  > using binaries compiled and provided by fedora, to maintain a
 > >  > mirror of the source rpms.  Especially if as above, the yum configs
 > >  > in the derivative distros are pointing at fedora servers anyway.
 > >
 > > Tough.  It's what the GPL says.  If you supply someone with a binary,
 > > you have to supply the source.  You can't point someone somewhere else
 > > and say "the source is over there, get it yourself".
 >
 > You can in some circumstances do exactly that. A derivative distribution
 > can very well point to the upstream distribution as the canonical source
 > if the upstream distribution agrees to it explicitly.

If you distribute binaries, it is your responsibility to

    "offer equivalent access to the Corresponding Source in the same
    way through the same place at no further charge.  You need not
    require recipients to copy the Corresponding Source along with the
    object code.  If the place to copy the object code is a network
    server, the Corresponding Source may be on a different server
    (operated by you or a third party) that supports equivalent
    copying facilities, provided you maintain clear directions next to
    the object code saying where to find the Corresponding Source.
    Regardless of what server hosts the Corresponding Source, you
    remain obligated to ensure that it is available for as long as
    needed to satisfy these requirements."

Of course, the source and binary may be on different servers, but it
remains *your* responsibility to make sure the source is available,
even if it's on a third party server.

Andrew.

--
Red Hat UK Ltd, Amberley Place, 107-111 Peascod Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 1TE, UK
Registered in England and Wales No. 3798903