changelogs in packages and space use

Mamoru Tasaka mtasaka at ioa.s.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Fri Aug 31 05:12:14 UTC 2007

seth vidal wrote, at 08/31/2007 01:55 PM +9:00:
> On Thu, 2007-08-30 at 23:29 -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
>> seth vidal wrote:
>>
>>> People on the packaging committe - does that sound fair?
>>>
>>> -sv
>> I'm always worried about making it harder to get the history related to
>> the running code... (I guess there's still always cvs history, but...)
>>
>> I'd like to see all changelog entries remain that are related to patches
>> still carried in the src.rpm - and not thrown away just because that
>> patch was added > 1 year ago.
>
> So my first question is this: Why are we carrying a patch for >1yr?
> Shouldn't it be being pushed to upstream?

I guess there are some cases where Fedora maintainers sent patches to
upstream but upstream developer refused to apply them.

For xscreensaver (which I maintain) there is a patch "sanitize-hacks.patch"
to rename some screensaver hack. This patch has been renamed several times
(according to the version), but the changelog says that first version of
this patch was introduced 3 years ago (with reflecting:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2004-August/msg00848.html )
AFAIK, the reply of the upstream was "Well, I can understand Fedora wants to
apply the patch, but I don't think the patch is needed even for non-Fedora
people".

Regard,
Mamoru