Developing Fedora Derivative distro yum "priority" question

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Aug 31 16:02:06 UTC 2007

Douglas McClendon wrote:

> That is WAY COOL! ;)
>
> The one thing missing from that page, is the explicit permission I've
> seen in the past to call your derived work "a derivative of Fedora(tm)"
> or "based on Fedora(tm)".

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Distribution

"You may also not then say that your product "contains Fedora" or is an
alternate "edition" of Fedora. You may say that your product is "a
derivative of Fedora" or is "built upon Fedora", but you must make it
clear that your product is NOT Fedora"

This is based on "fair use" and you don't need explicit permission.

> As opposed to the policy redhat has with centos, i.e. they are stuck
> with referring to "our nameless faceless upstream enterprise vendor".

Commercial products tend to have more strict requirements.

Rahul