Extreme memory usage for gnome-panel related apps

Adam Huffman bloch at verdurin.com
Sun Dec 2 13:58:14 UTC 2007

On Sat, 01 Dec 2007, Callum Lerwick wrote:

> On Sat, 2007-12-01 at 22:11 +0000, Martin Ebourne wrote:
> > I agree with you completely about the memory usage of Fedora 8, it has
> > got VERY bloated recently.
>
> I remember when I popped 512mb into my system back around 2002. Was
> running Red Hat 8 as I recall. I never, ever got the thing to use more
> than half of it. No matter how many tabs I opened in Mozilla, no matter
> how many kernels I compiled, I had a good 256mb worth of disk cache at
> all times, and it never hit swap. I remember losing entire 100mb files
> because that machine was a bit flaky and would hang sometimes, with the
> file never being written to disk. I got into a habit of typing 'sync' a
> few times after doing anything important, a habit I still have to this
> day.
>
> So now I'm sitting on a laptop with 512mb, running Fedora 8. I'm running
> Galeon and Evolution, and they're eating up 304M RAM and 428M swap.

I recently upgraded a 3 1/2 year old laptop with 512MiB to Fedora 8 and
the level of memory usage when running nothing but Firefox seemed to
cause frequent stalls when it was completely unresponsive for 30 seconds
at a time.

Admittedly this is only anecdotal evidence, but this doesn't happen on a
newer one with 2GiB.