ata and scsi modules in initrd (was: Re: Bootup speed for F8)

Leszek Matok Lam at Lam.pl
Sun Dec 2 18:16:49 UTC 2007

Dnia 2007-12-02, o godz. 18:09:58 Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info>
napisał(a):

> * you try to boot F8 and it won't find the root filesystem, because the
> module (ata_piix) with drives the chipsets storage controller in its
> default mode is missing in the initrd -> trouble that a lot of our users
> are unable to solve
Happened to me after a BIOS upgrade, as well, but come on, the website
specifically said something like "don't upgrade the BIOS yourself" and "don't
mess with the BIOS unless you're sure the upgrade will fix something".

And it took me 15 seconds to switch to AHCI mode and boot Fedora again.

And it's probably not a problem for new users of the chipset, because they'll
never have to switch to AHCI in order to install Fedora (which was the case
some time ago).

On the other hand, the answer to many of such problems is simply "use rescue
image". You can try to run kudzu from there or something. It's not THAT hard.

To summarize, it's not a big deal, and I can't imagine having EVERY storage
driver in the initrd just in case someone replugs the disk between two very
rare controllers.

Lam