Guidelines for creating subpackages?

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Sun Dec 2 18:39:31 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 12:05:44 +0100
Patrice Dumas <pertusus at free.fr> wrote:

> End-users also expect a package install not to drag in packages that
> are not useful. Especially system administrator end-users who care
> about avoiding bloat. Installing everything may be confusing too, not
> for a user who just don't care about what is installed on his
> computer but for a user who want to keep control.

The problem is that "not useful" is subjective, extremely so.  Since we
don't have smolt sending brainwave signatures so that we can tap in and
determine what you really need at install time, we make "best guesses"
and err on the side of usability rather than the alternatives where you
have to constantly play the game of "oh, you want to do /that/ with
your app, you need to install this subpackage, that subpackage, this
other seemingly unrelated package, and that over there too."

--
Jesse Keating