ata and scsi modules in initrd

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sun Dec 2 18:50:36 UTC 2007

On 02.12.2007 19:16, Leszek Matok wrote:
> Dnia 2007-12-02, o godz. 18:09:58 Thorsten Leemhuis <fedora at leemhuis.info>
> napisał(a):
>
>> * you try to boot F8 and it won't find the root filesystem, because the
>> module (ata_piix) with drives the chipsets storage controller in its
>> default mode is missing in the initrd -> trouble that a lot of our users
>> are unable to solve
> Happened to me after a BIOS upgrade, as well, but come on, the website
> specifically said something like "don't upgrade the BIOS yourself" and "don't
> mess with the BIOS unless you're sure the upgrade will fix something".

Sure, but there are good reasons to update the BIOS now and then.

> And it took me 15 seconds to switch to AHCI mode and boot Fedora again.

If you know about it. What do ordinary users do that don't know about
such things that got told by a "good" friend to update the BIOS?

> [...]
> On the other hand, the answer to many of such problems is simply "use rescue
> image". You can try to run kudzu from there or something. It's not THAT hard.

I want it to just work. Isn't that what we aim for normally? The reason
why we install drivers or firmware for nearly all hardware by default,
even if it consumes a disk space?

> To summarize, it's not a big deal, and I can't imagine having EVERY storage
> driver in the initrd just in case someone replugs the disk between two very
> rare controllers.

I didn't say we should have all modules in the initrd. But having the
most common would IMHO a good thing.

Cu
knurd