ata and scsi modules in initrd

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Mon Dec 3 02:01:30 UTC 2007

dragoran wrote:
> [..]
>> I didn't say we should have all modules in the initrd. But having the
>> most common would IMHO a good thing.
>
> +1 for having all pata/sata drivers in the initrd by default.

Has anyone checked how much larger this would make a typical initrd image?

The experimental bash-branch of mkinitrd has a simple for loop to load
all available kernel modules matching available PCI devices, so we could
possibly load the drivers dynamically.  But then actually using the
devices that appear to boot might be more challenging, unless the device
names haven't changed since mkinitrd time.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com