BIND will completely drop D-BUS dynamic forwarders table support

Colin Walters walters at redhat.com
Wed Dec 5 14:12:28 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 09:58 +0100, Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 22:45:24 -0300, Thomas M Steenholdt wrote:
>
> > Don't we still have the problem with glibc not supporting updates to
> > resolv.conf and isn't that exactly the reason we need a slim
> > forwarding/caching nameserver locally? Especially for mobile devices,
> > it can get tedious to have to restart the browser after you move to a
> > different network and things like that.
>
> Err...  at least on my system I can add new nameservers to resolv.conf,
> and (runnning) firefox instances pick up that change (may take some
> seconds, but they do it).

That's because it calls a magic function (res_init() or something) that
means "really stat /etc/resolv.conf".  Bottom line is that currently on
Linux, if your application wants to work on roaming wireless networks,
you need to

1) Listen to NetworkManager for networking changes
2) Know that you have to call res_init() in response to that signal

Ideally we wouldn't have 2), but that's the state of things now.