BIND will completely drop D-BUS dynamic forwarders table support

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Dec 5 23:18:23 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 15:16 -0800, Roland McGrath wrote:
> > I think this was one argument against using nscd exclusively and moving
> > to a caching nameserver, because /etc/resolv.conf can't support split
> > DNS.  How does one do split DNS with nscd?
>
> It doesn't do that.  nscd -i is just a simple idea for making resolv.conf
> reloading easy.  A fancy solution with a local DNS server of some variety
> is better if it has nice configuration features.

As VPN is fairly common these days on desktops; any chance that nscd can
grow such an interface? It really doesn't have to be more complicated
than, for example, NetworkManager poking it to say "for *.redhat.com use
these nameservers".

Running a full DNS server on a simple desktop seems like, well, a lot of
overhead not to mention security concerns...

      David