libflashsupport - Shouldn't this be libflashsupport-pulse or something like that?

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Thu Dec 13 00:45:15 UTC 2007

Kelly Miller wrote:
> It just seems to me that there is a good chance for conflict if there is
> another plugin for Flash sound ever added to the repository;
> technically, any sound extension is providing libflashsupport...
>
> Wouldn't it be better to call the package libflashsupport-pulse and have
> it "Provides: libflashsupport" or something along those lines?

If you want to add other abilities to libflashsupport, implement it as
patches for the libflashsupport package itself and we can issue Fedora
updates.  The only criteria is to NOT change the current default
behavior.  You would need to use /etc/sysconfig/libflashsupport or an
environment variable or something to select alternative behaviors.

I suggested to Adobe to create a centralized upstream project around
libflashsupport in order to prevent splintering of many forks in
distributions, but they seem to have given up on the idea.  (Last asked
them 2-3 months ago, no response.)

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com