Opinions welcome: Restructuring the system menus

Stewart Adam s.adam at diffingo.com
Mon Dec 17 03:33:05 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 02:14 +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Andrew Farris <lordmorgul <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > Text Editors', etc, for each and every place there is duplication.  But for
> > separation of the basic *GTK based* versus *QT based* applications a submenu
> > would work nicely, see next comment.
>
> I think that's an absolutely terrible criterion to group things by. GTK+/GNOME
> apps work fine under KDE, Qt/KDE apps work fine under GNOME. While for basic
> tasks, there's usually both a KDE and a GNOME app (still I'd like the choice!
> OnlyShowIn sucks!), for more advanced tasks there's often only one application,
> and I think that's a good thing. It doesn't make sense to waste time rewriting
> all applications in Qt/KDE for no reason other than "GNOME sucks"
> (independently of whether that's true or not) or the opposite. So I think the
> current "clutter" (as you call it), i.e. offering all applications in the same
> menu, is the best solution.
>
>         Kevin Kofler

I'm just pitching the idea, but maybe it would be interesting to keep the
applications listed under a single menu but sort by function as well.
For example:

--- Media Players ---      <-- Dividers are grey
Amarok
Audacious
Rhythmbox
Totem
VLC
--- Authoring Tools ---
Audacity
Avidemux
K3B
Pitivi

--- Sound Tools ---
PulseAudio Device Chooser
PulseAudio Manager
PulseAudio Volume Meter

--- Misc. ---

One problem I can see already though is there would be a lot piling up
under the Misc. section.

Stewart