Game content autodownloader

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 01:10:49 UTC 2007

On Dec 17, 2007 1:41 PM, Callum Lerwick <seg at haxxed.com> wrote:
> What are the licensing implications of this? Hell if I know. The game
> engine is GPL. The game content I bought legitimately. Dare I draw the
> parallel to web browsers, which are used to view all kinds of content
> that *isn't* licensed properly? I suddenly feel a strong sense of deja
> vu...

The content versus code debate isn't going to go away any time soon
and sadly game data isn't going to be the greyest area in the futre.
Once we start deeply integrating web services into our desktop
experience and as a project start trying to make peace with the
implications of relying on software as a service from non-open
webservice providers.. we won't have enough time to worry about the
ethics of needing to download copyright protected game data.

-jef"wonders if the underlying market principles which keep the baen
free library open for electronic books could also apply for eposodic
game data?"spaleta