how is pulseaudio supposed to work?

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Tue Dec 18 10:42:50 UTC 2007

On Tue, 18.12.07 08:22, Nicolas Mailhot (nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net) wrote:

> Le mardi 18 décembre 2007 à 01:38 +0100, Lennart Poettering a écrit :
>
> > It's not that PA doesn't work at all on those special no-X-involved
> > setups. The only limitation is that you need to run PA manually in
> > such setups. -- No big deal!
>
> Says the PA author.
>
> Why are we seeing the same lame arguments again and again? Are we going
> to have to retrofit support for "special" uses (special meaning the
> author didn't think of them so they "must" be marginal) in PA after
> several releases of complains like with the other "future"
> solutions?

Hmm?

I am not sure what you want? If people write their own .xinitrc, then
they do that because they want better control of what is started in
their X session and what is not. Now, I am not sure what you are are
asking for? Shall I find some magic way that PA is started even when
people use their own handcrafted xinitrc? You know, I am pretty sure
that people would hate me even more for that than with the current
solution. If people want the extra bit of control, than they should
have it -- and that includes the control if, when and where to start PA.

> Will we have to remove PA by default from the Fedora DVD spin to drive
> the point home and get you to care about every Fedora user?

Again, my focus is to get things working out-of-the-box for the
default cases. If you feel you need to write your own session scripts,
then you're welcome to do so -- to get PA working on such setups all you
need to do is add a "pulseaudio -D" to that script.  That seems to be
a very reasonable solution for me.

Lennart