how is pulseaudio supposed to work?

Neil Thompson abraxis at telkomsa.net
Wed Dec 19 10:12:32 UTC 2007

On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 10:26:10AM +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Wed, 19.12.07 08:12, Neil Thompson (abraxis at telkomsa.net) wrote:
>
> > > This all said though, I don't see how it's really a big deal if playback
> > > automatically stopped on user switch.  There are a lot more important
> > > bugs...
> > >

> > Completely apart from the current issue, this is an attitude that seems to
> > be prevalent amongst the Fedora desktop team, and it worries me - "So what
> > if it used to work?  We have this brand new bling that is better and you WILL
> > use it!"
>
> Sharing audio devices between multiple concurrent sessions of
> different users without major reconfiguration of ALSA never worked.
>
> This is no regression.

Ah yes, the "brand new bling" argument.  Not buying it.

> Also, I'd argue even if it worked before (which it didn't) the
> behaviour exposed by PA+CK is the more correct one, from a security
> perspective. And hence speaking of a "regression" in this area is very
> adventurous.

Something that used to work without issues, doesn't any more...looks like
a duck, walks like a duck...

And then the use case just gets dismissed.  Paraphrasing..."the clueless newbie
who doesn't really use her machine will be OK, and the other folks will just have
to change the way they work".

Like I said, it's the attitude that seems to be coming across from the desktop
folks that worries me - you either fit into their (limited) set of use cases
or you're SOL.  It happened with NM, and if you read through this thread
you'll see it happening again.  And the "well, just disable it" comments
aren't helping either.

--
Cheers! (Relax...have a homebrew)

Neil

THEOREM: VI is perfect.
PROOF: VI in roman numerals is 6.  The natural numbers < 6 which divide 6 are
1, 2, and 3. 1+2+3 = 6.  So 6 is a perfect number.  Therefore, VI is perfect.
QED
                                                    -- Arthur Tateishi