Delays in package processing

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam at arcor.de
Fri Dec 21 08:46:18 UTC 2007

On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 10:19:48 -0900, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> The spoken question here is... are we doing releases the 'right' way
> for our target users?
> Is our release and updates policy inconsistent?

If you asked technical leadership these questions, what would they answer?

*I* believe we flood our users with too many rushed/untested updates. It
feels more and more like a rolling release which is not too far away from
Rawhide.

> If lots and lots of updates cause annoyance for fresh installed users,
> should we be making a bigger deal about point people to re-spins
> as an option?

Certainly. Look at the size of the updates repository and also consider
the number of packages, which have superseded eachother. Those users, who
don't install a fresh Fedora release during the first two weeks, get to
see several hundred updates the first time they run an update tool. And
after installing so many updates, they see regressions. Plus packages that
more often than necessary depend on eachother, because once again a "minor
version update" of some library broke ABI compatibility and requires
subsequent rebuilds of other packages.