Delays in package processing

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Fri Dec 21 10:17:33 UTC 2007

On 21.12.2007 10:53, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 10:12:43 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> On 21.12.2007 09:46, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>>> On Thu, 20 Dec 2007 10:19:48 -0900, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> *I* believe we flood our users with too many rushed/untested updates. It
>>> feels more and more like a rolling release which is not too far away from
>>> Rawhide.
>> I think a kind of rolling release is something good -- especially as
>> hardware-support in Linux is not done by separate drivers (like on
>> Windows) and instead often bound to packages (like the linux kernel,
>> sane, or hpijs). Thus is we IMHO want new version of those packages in
>> the repo to support new hardware instead of forcing them to use rawhide
>                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> or waiting up to six month until the next release.
>      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Hyperbole. There may be feature additions in updates, provided that they
> are subject to a reasonable amount of testing.

Thx for your kind and friendly words. Sorry, you are barking up the
wrong tree. Did I say otherwise? (okay, yes, maybe I drifted away to a
"big picture view" a bit and didn't make that explicit ;-) )

Let me put it in different words: I prefer the current Fedora way with a
steady pile of updates over what other other popular desktop
distributions do where you don't get new drivers for a distribution once
they were shipped.

>> But On the other hand I agree that there are many rushed/untested updates.
> All I wish is that we don't throw away the results of the development
> cycle so carelessly:  [...]

+1

Especially building and shipping a new upstream release in all supported
branches at nearly the same time seems totally wrong to me, but is what
a lot of people do. Thx do the bodhi and the testing repos at least the
releases for the stable branch now get a bit delayed.

Cu
knurd