RFC: FEver and RPath checks in Koji

John Dennis jdennis at redhat.com
Fri Dec 21 18:11:45 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 22:46:18 +0530
> "Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray" <debarshi.ray at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> + Would it be a good idea to have rpath related checks in Koji?
>> Although I use "%__arch_install_post   /usr/lib/rpm/check-rpaths
>> /usr/lib/rpm/check-buildroot"
>> in my ~/.rpmmacros, some rpath issues are only detected on x86_64
>> systems? Although I have a x86_64 desktop, it can be a bit problematic
>> when a x86_64 system is not available. Such issues do not get detected
>> during the Koji build resulting in violation of the packaging
>> guidelines.
>>
>> Comments?

+1

> I'm pretty sure rpath checking is done in koji, due to the macros we
> install in redhat-config-rpm.

I don't believe so. We've been bitten by this recently. x86_64 builds
will succeed in Koji but fail locally. This lead to the incorrect
conclusion the problem was on the local machine because Koji builds are
the gold standard reference thus the local machine had to have a
problem. As we learned a few days ago the Koji build had the exact same
rpath issue, however it wasn't flagged as a build error like it was
locally. The red herring was an unfortunate waste of time because we
were looking for the problem in the wrong place.

--
John Dennis <jdennis at redhat.com>