BIND will completely drop D-BUS dynamic forwarders table support

Adam Tkac atkac at redhat.com
Mon Dec 3 17:37:04 UTC 2007

On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 12:20:58PM -0500, Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Dec 2007, Adam Tkac wrote:
>
> > For clarify what exactly discussed feature did (nothing more). When you get
> > nameservers from DHCP dhcdbd tells to named through DBUS that named
> > should use them as forwarders and NetworkManager sets 127.0.0.1 as
> > default nameserver in resolv.conf. So you could use named as
> > caching-nameserver on laptops and you don't have to edit named.conf
> > always when you move to different network. I think it makes sence add
> > this feature to some light DNS server but not into named. It's simply
> > too heavy-weight solution.
>
> But if you are running DNSSEC on your local laptop, and the network only
> allows dns to their forwarding nameservers, it is quite useful....

Yes, DNSSEC. I thought that someone come here with this argument. Current
situation is bad. When dhcdbd package doesn't exist someone has to write
support on NetworkManager side (not sure how much work it needs but from
discussion with NM people it needs some development) and I (or someone
else) have to write support into named nearly from scratch. I'm ready
to do it on named side and try put it to upstream (or keep it downstream).
Not sure what Dan Williams (or someone else from NM) thinks about this.

> > Also upstream will never accept such feature
> > because this is not primary BIND mission. Domain name modification
> > should be done with nsupdate utility through DDNS update message which
> > is part of DNS protocol.
>
> But I don't think nsupdate can modify the forwarders configured right?

Yes you're right. I point that idea about configuring DNS RRs through
D-Bus is completely wrong.

Adam

--
Adam Tkac, Red Hat, Inc.