network manager command-line control?

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Mon Dec 3 21:14:25 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 14:17 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 03, 2007 at 11:24:31AM -0500, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > > Specifically, my laptop generates a custom Sony ACPI button event when the
> > > wireless antenna is switched on or off -- I'd like to automatically enable
> > > or disable wireless networking correspondingly. Is there an easy way to do
> > > this that I'm just not seeing? Thanks.
> > The right fix for this is for the kernel to hook the ACPI event properly
> > into generating a kill switch event rather than piling on hacks ;)
>
> Yup, but that's unlikely to actually happen anytime soon, particularly for
> this model of laptop.

Well, if somebody doesn't do it, it's going to get harder and harder to
use that functionality then with newer releases of the kernel or other
parts.

> Having a general interface lets one work around all sorts of similar cases,
> some of which may not be associated with ACPI events.

The general interface for rfkill switches _is_ the rfkill layer in the
kernel.  It doesn't just hook into the ACPI layer.  It hooks into ACPI,
the drivers themselves, and the normal input layer.  Macs don't have
ACPI, and their drivers can hook in just fine.  The point is that if you
hook into the rfkill layer, you no longer have to "work around all sorts
of similar cases", because there arent any cases anymore, they all
conform to the standard interface and Just Work.

Dan