I think the placement of the pam_keyinit.so in the pam files is incorrect?

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Thu Dec 6 22:43:52 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 22:17 +0000, David Howells wrote:
> Simo Sorce <ssorce at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > The problem I have with giving sudo/setuid programs access to my
> > credentials is trust, they are ultimately running with different
> > credentials after all.
>
> There is no right answer, unfortunately.  Sometimes you want to give access
> and sometimes you don't.
>
> I've been told by some OpenAFS developers that the OpenAFS key must be
> accessible by a program run under su.
>
> Something you have to remember: the current working directory may not be
> available if you don't have the right key, the binary you want to execute may
> not be available even.  Open files, however, should be immune to this effect.

Yes I am well aware of that, we are going to implement the same stuff in
cifs.ko, ie you have to authenticate to get access. Still it make me
question if I want to give a sudoed app access to my material, if I
su/sudo to root then probably it's ok, root is powerful enough to be
trust-able by a mortal user. If you su to another user, things change a
lot IMO.

Simo.

--
| Simo S Sorce |