Package alien

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Fri Dec 7 16:50:16 UTC 2007

On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 07:40:34AM -0900, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Dec 7, 2007 4:24 AM, Patrice Dumas <pertusus at free.fr> wrote:
> > The target for dpkg are not casual users, and casual users won't use it
> > anyway.
>
> And when someone wants to put a dpkg-enabled tool in the distro that
> does target casual users?

What kind of tool are you thinking of? If we have tools that use dpkg
then there is a lack of proper integration. The solution is not to have
a non functional dpkg, but properly integrated packages.

> It's a slippery slope. We avoid
> being on that slope by not having a fully functional dpkg on the system at all.

It is better if the dpkg we give is upstream dpkg, such that user can
use it in any way they want.

--
Pat