yum updating itself first?

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Fri Dec 7 21:33:35 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 19:07 +0000, Will Woods wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 16:37 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-12-06 at 16:32 -0500, Dr. Diesel wrote:
> > >
> > > Is this a packaging error on Livna's part or some new policy I missed?
> > >

> > it was a yum bug and it is fixed in yum 3.2.8 which is out in
> > updates. :)
>
> We've probably talked about this before but.. how hard would it be to
> change yum to update itself (and its deps) before attempting the rest of
> the transaction, for simple updates?
>
> There've been a lot of bugs lately where "update yum before updating
> everything else" was the solution. Seems like that would be the Right
> Thing To Do in general.

So far, I've been doing that manually (ie. if I see yum or one of its
libs about to be updated, I cancel the yum update and manually update
yum first).

Sometimes it's a question of there being a correct order in the first
place and if it's known what it is, then it should be automated.
--

Richi Plana