alpha/beta software in Fedora 8?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Dec 10 16:23:00 UTC 2007

Steve Grubb <sgrubb <at> redhat.com> writes:
> I think I would have voted for sitting on the current package.  The
> enterprise branch is very, very different.

We know it is, that's why there was no way to backport whatever fixed the IMAP
bug in 3.5.7 (or rather: made it not be there in the first place, AFAIK the
enterprise branch never had that particular bug). The IMAP code there is
significantly different and the difference which matters here is certainly one
of the big internal reorganizations.

> > (We considered reverting kdepim to 3.5.6, but there were other changes in
> > 3.5.7 we didn't want to revert, e.g. in KitchenSync.)
>
> You can't - literally. KDE modifies its configuration. You would need the old
> config saved away on a per version directory.

Actually it depends. In the worst case, yes, reverting leads to broken
configurations. In others it works. For 3.5.7->3.5.6, KitchenSync would have
been likely to have configuration problems because of the significant changes,
KMail not so much. But reverting from the enterprise branch to a 3.5.x would be
likely to break things, which is another good reason for continuing with that
branch. :-)

        Kevin Kofler