Wiki Migration

Jonathan Steffan jon at fedoraunity.org
Fri Dec 14 23:24:51 UTC 2007

On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 15:06:01 -0800
Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:

> Mike McGrath wrote:
> > Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> >> Why ?
> >>
> >> Not that I'm a fan of Moin, but it'd be useful to know what the
> >> perceived problems with Fedora's current Wiki are, and what we
> >> expect to gain from a new solution before going through the
> >> migration pain.
> >
> > We've been down this path, its not been fruitful:
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/MikeMcGrath/MoinIssues
> >
> Just a note:
> We have a patch for issue 1 (page saves).
> Issue 3 (searches) might be fixed when moin eventually releases their
> next version.

Or we can just use our own search system and not use the wiki search
system. I can (and have planned to for some time, just out of
$freetime) revive searchfedora.org using the existing datapark search
(http://dataparksearch.org/) code or we can use an experimental indexing
system I'm working on in python that uses Xapian and some custom python
to feed the indexer, as Xapian doesn't have it's own
robots (http://www.xapian.org/). Datapark search scales very well. I've
not been the most impressed with xapian, but moreso with it's indexing
strategy rather then it's true purpose as an indexing framework (as
best I can tell.) IIRC, MoinMoin has xapian plugins, but I would
recommend a completely external search system. Let me know if reviving
searchfedora.org should be moved up on my todo list.

--
Jonathan Steffan
daMaestro