Opinions welcome: Restructuring the system menus

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Dec 17 16:48:21 UTC 2007

Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede <at> hhs.nl> writes:
> Gee, thanks for the vote of confidence, autodownloader is for the cases where
> upstream can not or will not change the license. For example when I started
> packaging bolzplatz2006 (fun game) I contacted upstream and the upstream
> project lead said they would fix the license of the datafiles, at the end
> however one of upstreams major contributers wouldn't play ball.

But what do you think puts more pressure on such people? "If you don't change
your license, your game cannot and will not be included in Fedora. Ever."
or "Oh, too bad then, we just used autodownloader." :-/ Projects like Debian
and Fedora flat-out refusing to carry non-Free stuff play a big part in getting
some upstream projects to fix their licensing. Erode this policy and you remove
the incentive to relicense. The policies are already very lax for game content
(non-modifiable content is allowed) without autodownloader.

That said, thanks a lot for the packages where you did manage to convince
upstream to relicense.

        Kevin Kofler