how is pulseaudio supposed to work?

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Mon Dec 17 20:24:53 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 12:44 -0500, Yaakov Nemoy wrote:
> On Dec 17, 2007 12:11 PM, Richi Plana <myfedora at richip.dhs.org> wrote:
> > I think someone is assuming the wrong thing about why people use
> > virtual, text-based consoles. I don't know about others, but the only
> > reason I use VCs these days is when X won't work or something is hogging
> > the system resources and I have to use a minimalistic shell to fix it.
>
> In the world of today's über computers using the text console may not
> be necessary, but I've had some pretty old computers, that took
> forever to start up X.  Then running a terminal, even say urxvt with
> font-smoothing was slow.  Sometimes we just want something simple, and
> to have a way of supporting it.
>
> Actually, i think doing the virtual consoles through X is a cool idea,
> because you can do alot of very interesting things that way, but it's
> always something to take into consideration, what use cases us edge
> people have had.

VC over X isn't a bad idea. In fact, it's an interesting idea  ...
specially if we want to wean console-only users like some emacs geeks I
know to X. It doesn't do anything for the context of this thread,
though, which is starting the PulseAudio daemon when it is required and
when using non-dictated^Wstandard login paths.
--

Richi Plana