how is pulseaudio supposed to work?

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Tue Dec 18 13:51:49 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 10:20 +0100, Tomasz Torcz wrote:
> Dnia 18-12-2007, wto o godzinie 00:48 +0100, Lennart Poettering pisze:
> > You can configure PA so that it is autospawned when needed. However, I
> > do not recommend this. I recommend to start it from the session
> > manager like we do it right now for KDE and GNOME. Why? Because PA
> > nowadays does much more than just proxying access to the hw. It reacts
> > on hotplug events, network configuration changes, certain X11 events,
> > it is a network server, and so on and so on. For all these reasons it
> > is better to leave PA running all the time.
>
>   If PA is so important, why not start it system-wide by default?

The access model it is using is running the daemon as the UID of the
user that is running the "session" (as opposed to a specific PA UID that
authenticates and authorizes each access request). Not to mention going
against the desires of a group of users who don't believe it is that
necessary.
--

Richi Plana