how is pulseaudio supposed to work?

Michael E Brown Michael_E_Brown at dell.com
Tue Dec 18 21:56:56 UTC 2007

On Tue, Dec 18, 2007 at 10:40:26PM +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> Le mardi 18 décembre 2007 à 22:13 +0100, Lennart Poettering a écrit :
>
> > Oh, and since you seem to hate PA really that much:
>
> I don't hate PA anymore than you hate users that do not fit in your
> assumptions

Sounds like you two need a time-out. Neither of those comments were
necessary.

> Ok, if that's the official answer I'll ask application authors to
> un-pulsify their apps so sound still works for the Fedora users you
> don't want to care about. I had accepted it would not work short term
> but if even asking how some use-cases are supposed to work mid-term is
> too much, there's little hope left.

Oh dear.

Nicolas, I've been watching this thread and still dont see what you are
going on and on and on about.

Your use case is slightly outside of the "out-of-the-box" experience for
fedora... There aren't PVR apps or any of the other things you are
talking about in the box with fedora as it stands now. SOOOOO... if it
is going to take you a bit of work to install these apps from
third-party repositories, then you should also expect that it is going
to take you a little bit of integration work to get it all going. Wiki
anybody?

Aside from that, Lennart has done what I would consider a good job
giving you all the tools and options you would need to set up such a
system, either using PA as it was intended, or by disabling it.

Aside from that, It sounds like your main problem is with CK, not with
pulse, that is, if your main problem is with users logging in "stealing"
sound. It seems like there would be a way to configure this outside of
CK such that the DVR apps PA daemon has constant access to the sound
devices (group permissions?)

--
Michael