how is pulseaudio supposed to work?

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Wed Dec 19 09:35:47 UTC 2007

On Tue, 18.12.07 12:03, Jeff Spaleta (jspaleta at gmail.com) wrote:

> On Dec 18, 2007 11:57 AM, Lennart Poettering <mzerqung at 0pointer.de> wrote:
> > I explained that already twice: with the help of HAL/CK we are
> > notified whenever the active session changes and thus can give up
> > access to the audio hw and open it again when needed. That works fine,
> > and is part of F8.
>
> I think one of the problems here is CK runs against a body of shared
> administration experience
> in the community. There isn't a shared understanding of how to use CK
> effectively to get common hardware related admin crap done, so as a
> result any explanation on how to do something semi-involved as an
> administrator which boils down to "it uses CK to do it" just doesn't
> connect.

The basic idea of the CK/HAL integration is very simple: only the
active session on a seat gets access to your IO devices like mice,
keyboard, screen, sound card. To make that a reality ACLs on the
device nodes are modified to match user on the current active VT. And
as soon as we have revoke() in the kernel applications accessing those
device files are kicked from doing so as soon as their session becomes
inactive.

That's basically it.

Sure, there could be better documentation. I guess for 99% of all Free
Software there could be better documentation. In spirit of real Free
Software you're always welcome to contribute better documentation!

Lennart