how is pulseaudio supposed to work?

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Wed Dec 19 09:41:27 UTC 2007

On Tue, 18.12.07 18:53, Callum Lerwick (seg at haxxed.com) wrote:

> On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 19:39 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > But only one daemon instance can access the audio HW at a time. But
> > since to awesome projects like HAL and CK PA will automatically be
> > notified when the active VT/session is switched. And the PA daemon
> > that becomes inactive closes the audio device and the one the becomes
> > active opens it.
>
> What if your hardware supports multiple streams? Obviously that should
> allow more than one daemon to use the card. But then what about single
> user use? Is PA just going to let my multi-stream capable hardware go to
> waste?

This has been discussed before. Hardware mixing is obsolete
technology. Mixing audio on the CPU is cheap and usually done with
better and more reliable quality. Unless someone contributes a patch
PA will not support hw mixing. I am certainly not working on a feture
like that.

As soon as we have revoke() in the kernel the processes of inactive
sessions will kicked from the devices as soon as they become inactive.

Lennart