Wiki Migration

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Fri Dec 21 14:49:48 UTC 2007

Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-12-21 at 07:59 -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
>
>> Yuan Yijun wrote:
>>
>>> 2007/12/15, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com>:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Tell us the decision of Infrastructure team (the choice that you are
>>> going to convert to). As a wiki editor I don't expect a easy move but
>>> I must understand how that will affect our working flow first.
>>> Personally I like moinmoin because its setup is rather easy, and I
>>> have become familar with include-style page organization.
>>>

>> We've not made any actual decisions on what to do, we were just wanting
>> to see what the others would say, pretty much all options are still on
>> the table.
>>

>>> I want a piece of moinmoin wiki theme that is used on fp.o, where to get that?
>>>

>> http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewcvs/web/wiki/kindofblue/?root=fedora
>>
>>     -Mike
>>

> As discussed on IRC my vote is anything that has a CMS built into it.
>
> I personally feel a lot of things are done behind closed doors and
> really feeding the hungry public with information of whats coming up and
> things that have occurred is nothing but a bonus.

This is completely false.  On the websites (content) side:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Websites/ShowUs There's also the websites
list, the docs list, #fedora-websites and #fedora-docs.

If you're interested in the hosting side of things you'll want to talk
to the Infrastructure team.  We have weekly meetings, there's the
#fedora-admin channel and the fedora-infrastructure-list.  If you think
we should replace the wiki with the CMS feel free to state your case on
that list and we'll discuss but I think you'll find that for most
content that would require a CMS the docs team handles that (and they're
currently moving towards a CMS).  If you think you can organize the wiki
with a CMS and that its the best way to go, lets see the proposal.
> I've been advised that plone does this as do other CMS/Wiki's out there.
> There are Java based one's out there already I'm not to sure how they
> fit into the scheme of things but information to help the marketing,
> ambassadors and other contributors to Fedora would be helpful.

We've been trying to get plone up and running for not 1, not 2 but going
on 3 years now when February hits.  We even have a big Plone advocate
working on it with the docs team and yet its still not here.  I'm not
saying anything bad about the technology but I'm a pretty results
oriented guy and the proof is in the pudding.  Plone is a resource /
attention needy application.  I hope the docs guys get a good product
out of it but in general I'd like to see Fedora's commitment to Plone
stop there until such a time comes that it can play well with the
language it was written in (just my 2 cents).

    -Mike