Fedora 8 review

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Dec 21 17:16:31 UTC 2007

On Fri, Dec 21, 2007 at 11:07:20AM -0600, King InuYasha wrote:
> I would have to agree with Chris and Bryan regarding Anaconda and the icon
> style. It seems that Anaconda has had more and more features tacked on it
> since its inception so long ago. Has Anaconda ever been rewritten or has
> anyone even considered rewriting Anaconda?

Re-writing something that on the whole works very well, just to fix a couple
of minor UI issues & the way it sets up grub is nuts. Re-writing apps just
because they're 'old' is very detrimental because inevitably you loose all
the years of bugfixes that make the wierd edge-cases work. 'New' code merely
looks clean at first because it never deals with the wierd edge-cases - once
you fix all the edge case bugs to get parity you're back where you started.

Dan.