kernels won't boot

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Sat Dec 22 19:43:11 UTC 2007

On Saturday 22 December 2007 12:19:35 Andrew Farris wrote:
> > After build 81, I have not been able to boot any of the x86_64 rawhide
> > kernels. They all end with:
> >
> > Trying to resume from /sys/block/sda/sda3
> > Unable to access resume device (/sys/block/sda/sda3)
>
> Are you actually hibernating and resuming from a diff kernel or what is
> going on here?

Nope. I've never knowingly used hibernate. This machine is almost always just
booted to runlevel 3. I just do the yum update followed by a reboot command.

> It should not be trying to resume if you haven't had that kernel version
> booted before, looks like that might be the place to look for a what changes
> led to this.  (and sorry I haven't tried to duplicate the prob yet)

If no one else is seeing this, I might try to hook up a serial cable so that I
can record the whole boot attempt and see where the first sign of trouble is.

-Steve