Getting GNOME settings applied for GNOME apps in KDE sessions

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Sun Dec 30 10:48:25 UTC 2007

Hello,

Related to Jesse's "I care when it looks like ass compared to the other apps I
have open" message in the recent K3b thread:

Getting GNOME apps to look decent in KDE sessions is somewhat painful
currently.  Not only does one need to configure their settings in the GNOME
control center (which I can understand and live with even though it's
suboptimal), but that is not enough.  No settings persist accross session
unless one gets something to start gnome-settings-daemon.

Without gnome-settings-daemon running, many GNOME apps display broken/missing
icons, and do not honor the settings I've configured in GNOME control center
(eg. font sizes, themes).  For examples of broken icons log in to a fresh KDE
session, and open GNOME control center itself (the initial view shows lots of
broken icons) or the nm-applet context menus.  For examples of my font size
being ignored, any GNOME app seems to do.

Where should this be fixed?  Shouldn't GNOME apps that use settings governed
by the daemon get the daemon running if needed?  Can't GNOME apps be made to
look semi decent (eg. no broken icons) without the daemon running?  What if
gnome-settings-daemon isn't even installed?  Should KDE start
gnome-settings-daemon when a session starts?

This is on F8.  I've traditionally "fixed" this locally by installing a
~/.kde/Autostart/gnome-settings-daemon -> /usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon
symlink but I think this deserves a real fix somewhere so that things just
work.