Smolt: Fedora Hardware Profiler

Michael Wiktowy michael.wiktowy at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 02:48:26 UTC 2007

On 1/31/07, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On 1/31/07, Michael Wiktowy <michael.wiktowy at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Does the profile give any indication whether the hardware is installed
> > and working properly (or providing some limited functionality) or is
> > it just cataloging its existence?
>
> The LHCP guys are doing this.  Smolt has a much smaller scope.

I think that the LHCP idea is fantastic!

So if Smolt does not give any indication that hardware is working, it
seems only useful when talking with tech support/bugzilla and you need
a simple way to gather all the data on your machine to give to someone
more knowledgeable to figure out.

So what is derived from putting it into firstboot and collecting
statistics that won't tell you anything other than the range of
hardware that exists in the world? What the motivation is for
collecting this data from everyone? I see Smolt as a useful tool for
interactive troubleshooting but I can see much beneficial use for the
data collected. Can you offer some examples?

/Mike