Smolt: Fedora Hardware Profiler

Phil Knirsch pknirsch at redhat.com
Thu Feb 1 11:25:37 UTC 2007

Bret McMillan wrote:
> Mike McGrath wrote:
>>>
>>> So, the issue I see is that the data appears to be stored as HAL
>>> descriptive strings - these could change over time. Storing
>>> it as vendor/id pairs might be more flexible.
>>>
>>> (Or is this actually done that way, and the display on the website
>>> is what's doing the conversion?)
>>>

>> They're presently being pulled from the hardware object created using
>> the RHN client tools.  I'll look to see what it would take to get
>> vendor/id pairs.
>
> Ouch.  The way RHN currently deals with hardware is pretty painful, at
> least server-side; a bunch of us are interested in pursuing something
> more HAL'ish, drop me a line if you're interested, and maybe we can see
> if there are points of commonality.
>
> --Bret

As we'll probably be reusing a lot of that hardware probing code in LHCP
as well i'd be really interested about what/how we can do that better,
so it would be awesome if you could get me in the loop. Our current code
in LHCP is very basic for now (just a prove of concept), so doing that
the same way in smolt and LHCP should be really benefical.

Read ya, Phil

--
Philipp Knirsch      | Tel.:  +49-711-96437-470
Development          | Fax.:  +49-711-96437-111