Announcing LHCP - Linux Hardware Compatibility Project

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Thu Feb 1 15:07:33 UTC 2007

Benny Amorsen wrote:

> RH> On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 01:21 +0100, Enrico Scholz wrote:
>>>  'suspend-to-disk' and 'suspend-to-ram' are much more descriptives
>>> names and more consistent with rest of system (/sys/power/state).
>
> RH> And how many joe-average Linux users know what the contents of
> RH> /sys/power/state is? Also, my girlfriend has no concept of what
> RH> "ram" is, and why it should be faster than "disk".
>
> RH> She does understand the speed difference between suspend and
> RH> hibernate.
>
> I don't think I'll ever be able to remember which of suspend and
> hibernate means suspend-to-disk. Perhaps its easier for native English
> speakers, or perhaps I need my brain fixed.

Then use the English dictionary to learn that hibernate is what some
animals, e.g. bears as a long sleep over the winter, thus is considered
a longer sleep.

Or, use a mnemonic device of some sort to help.  For example, spell them
out:

Suspend    <-- shorter (less letters)
Hibernate  <-- longer  (more letters)

Suspend takes the shorter time, and is RAM, and hibernate takes longer
to do, thus suspend to disk.