announce: v2.6.20-rt1 yum repository and kernel rpms

Ingo Molnar mingo at elte.hu
Tue Feb 6 11:41:15 UTC 2007

* Curtis Doty <Curtis at GreenKey.net> wrote:

> What fun, :-) thank you for your efforts.
>
> I happen to have a G4 Proliant on my bench this morning so I fired up
> kernel-rt-2.6.20-1.rt2 and compared it to kernel-2.6.18-1.2869.
>
> The first thing I notice in userland is the load average and cpu util
> under procps stuff is unusually high. Is this just an artifact of RT
> kernel's better perspective/granularity?

thanks for reporting this, this is indeed a bug in -rt2. What happens is
that the RCU priority booster kernel thread is in uninterruptible sleep:

 $ ps aux | grep -i prio
 root        31  0.0  0.0      0     0 ?        D    Feb05   0:00 [RCU Prio Booste]

that artificially increases the system load average by +1.0. I've fixed
this in my tree and it will be in -rt3 today - it's harmless otherwise.

	Ingo