greylisting and dynamic host IPs, was: Default MTA for Fedora 7

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Tue Feb 6 15:13:08 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 10:07 +0100, Benny Amorsen wrote:

> NP> Note that you should probably only pass at greylisting if an IP is
> NP> not from one of the "known" ranges of dynamic IPs.
>
> The IP I send this from is static. It is also supposedly a "known"
> dynamic IP. I would agree with you if the dynamic IP lists were
> actually dynamic IP lists.

Weeeell, the dynamic IP I have at home is dynamic, in fact they cut the
connection every 24 hours to ensure I get a new IP. No problem because I
push all my mails to a machine with a static IP so I don't have to send
directly ;-). Anyway, the scheme dwmw2 mentioned (white list IP plus
HELO host) should alleviate most false whitelisting due to dynamic IPs.

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com
 Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."  --  B. Franklin, 1759