Default MTA for Fedora 7

Thomas M Steenholdt tmus at tmus.dk
Tue Feb 6 23:19:49 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 February 2007 15:48, Thomas M Steenholdt wrote:
>> Precisely. So let's make sure that whatever is put on the media, is
>> something that we can somehow justify as our default packages for
>> whatever. I don't care about which mailer is chosen as default, but I'm
>> not too fond of the: "package XXX is the default choice for function
>> YYY, because it won the *sort* contest". If we are going to include an
>> MTA on the media at all - and install should of course be possible
>> without network connectivity - we should be in charge of which mailer
>> goes there. It should not be left to chance.
>
> I really really don't want to make that decision, because no matter _what_
> decision I make, people with pitchforks are going to come after me.  So I'm
> perfectly happy to make _no_ decision and let the tool sort it out.

I think that's too easy and I'm slightly concerned with how many changes
of *default* MTA's we'll see over time this way. Lets pick one so that
even though we may not be perfectly happy with the choice, we'll know
what we can expect to see there. I'm a postfix guy, but a lot of the
exim dudes here have made me curious, so i'll be experimenting with exim
soon. I've run sendmail some years back, but not lately. Either way, I
vote that we choose this component, rather than leaving it to the sort
routine.

The obvious and easy choice is: sendmail (this is what we've had for as
long as I can remember)

As I see it, the battle of the "newcomers" is between Exim and Postfix.
I won't choose between these, either one is fine by me. (count of hands?)

Perhaps the best choice: a super-slim (local-only?) sendmail compatible
thingy which shall remain nameless for now (since I don't know any).
This would be perfect for machines that is not going to be hosting
e-mail services, but where sending email is required. This makes most
sense to me. Is there a candidate for this perhaps?!?

/Thomas