Default MTA for Fedora 7

Horst H. von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Tue Feb 6 23:51:14 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 February 2007 15:48, Thomas M Steenholdt wrote:
> > Precisely. So let's make sure that whatever is put on the media, is
> > something that we can somehow justify as our default packages for
> > whatever. I don't care about which mailer is chosen as default, but I'm
> > not too fond of the: "package XXX is the default choice for function
> > YYY, because it won the *sort* contest". If we are going to include an
> > MTA on the media at all - and install should of course be possible
> > without network connectivity - we should be in charge of which mailer
> > goes there. It should not be left to chance.

> I really really don't want to make that decision, because no matter _what_
> decision I make, people with pitchforks are going to come after me.  So I'm
> perfectly happy to make _no_ decision and let the tool sort it out.

That by itself /is/ a decision...

Yes, I know about the pitchforks and all, and can't say I envy your
position. But MTA is just one of the areas where there are several
alternatives (vi vs emacs vs Xemacs, bash vs ash vs dash vs zsh vs ...)
plus the many "Do we include ...?" Better set up an uniform way to decide
such questions, just leaving them to "random" doesn't cut it.