Creating a jackuser group

Matthias Clasen mclasen at redhat.com
Wed Feb 7 19:36:05 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-07 at 11:13 -0800, Florin Andrei wrote:

> Finally, please keep in mind that RT capabilities are more of an
> advanced user thing. Well, that's debatable, of course, but people who
> absolutely need RT and cannot live without it are probably those who
> load up a bunch of synths on a laptop, hook up a MIDI keyboard and
> perform on stage.
> Also, enthusiasts like me will arguably need RT as a basic requirement
> that cannot be replaced by something else.
>
> All these people will be glad to click on a pop-up, enter a root
> password and do such things to enable RT. This will be perceived as an
> improvement over the current situation, which requires reading docs,
> making manual changes to obscure system files (with the potential to
> break the whole system) and stuff like that.

No, regular users will not be glad if they are forced to answer a
question they have absolutely no idea about. How is a normal user going
to be able to answer the question "Do you want to be added to the
'realtime' UNIX group" ?

If realtime is a requirement for acceptable audio experience, then
everybody needs to get it without extra questions asked. If it is not,
then why bother ?