Default MTA for Fedora 7

Bojan Smojver bojan at rexursive.com
Thu Feb 8 01:55:39 UTC 2007

David Woodhouse <dwmw2 <at> infradead.org> writes:

> Oh, sorry -- I missed that. Yes, of course we ship with it suid root. It
> normally drops privileges almost immediately, but for local deliveries
> it needs to keep them.

OK, thanks for that explanation. I see there is a lot of MTA discussion out
there on the net, especially about security architectures of various different
MTAs, but it all appears to boil down to "local delivery == root at some point".
Whether non-monolithic architecture of Postfix is better overall in terms of
security appears to be a very contentious issue, but it doesn't seem to impact
local delivery (i.e. this is still root at many points).

--
Bojan