tcl 8.5 alpha in fedora 7?

Sander Hoentjen sander at hoentjen.eu
Thu Feb 8 21:31:22 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 21:08 +0100, Jean-Luc Fontaine wrote:

> Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > Jean-Luc Fontaine <jfontain <at> free.fr> writes:
> >> Well, then there's gonna be a big problem with blt (now in extras, a
> >> graphical library) which is far from ready to compile against tcl-8.5,
> >
> > The strange thing is that it doesn't show up in the "broken
> dependencies" list,
> > so RPM thinks the version built against 8.4 is still going to run
> (there's no
> > dependency on the versioned soname). I don't know whether that's true.
> I checked again and blt is indeed very much incompatible with tcl-8.5,
> so I will correct blt.spec accordingly.
> >
> > itcl, itk and iwidgets are in a similar situation, they don't seem to
> depend on
> > libtcl8.4.so either for some reason, so I have no idea if they actually
> need a
> > rebuilt or not.
> Neither do I, and I suspect that the quite many packages that depend
> on tcl have not been well tested against tcl-8.5. So I hope reason
> will prevail and F7 will include the recent tcl 8.4.14 instead.

I am a bit in unsure here. On the one hand I really want tcl/tk 8.5
because a lot of amsn users are requesting AA fonts (or are complaining
about the lack thereof). We also tested amsn against 8.5 and fixed
incompatibility issues. Some of those were not fixed in amsn but in
tcl/tk. In that respect I think it is important for projects to step to
tcl/tk 8.5 so they can report any problems they have to the tcl/tk team.
(yes i know that this is not the task of fedora, but i wanted to point
it out anyway)

On the other hand we don't know when this will even get out of alpha.

I would still vote in favor of 8.5 though, 8.5 has reached more or less
the bug fixing stage(*) and what better way to flush out bugs by having
lots of users. Then again maybe the true reason is i want it because i
like new shiny things.

Sander

(*) according to a dev on IRC: "feature freeze was december and now it's
bug fixing time prior to beta"