Is there a NFS alternative?

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Thu Feb 8 22:34:44 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 17:09 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> NFSv4 is TCP-only. (Although apparently the Linux implementation might
> support UDP as a non-standard option.)

NFSv4 can go through firewalls quite nicely, in fact
system-config-securitylevel has a checkbox for it. I've never ever had
any luck getting NFSv3 to pipe through NAT or a SSH tunnel etc.

I recently started switching all my systems over to NFSv4, so I can
enable their firewalls. (With IPv6, you can no longer count on the
safety of NAT...) I'm having strange problems with one of my boxes, the
system locks up hard any time I actually try and use the mount for very
long. Its my "HTPC" and playing video off it on another machine will do
it every time.

And then there's the PPC box that refuses to mount NFSv4 at all...