Wakeup alarm?

Jerry Williams jwilliam at xmission.com
Mon Feb 12 00:10:24 UTC 2007

This is something that I have run into. It seems like the install is an all
or nothing install.  It seems like all of the tools like pirut and
system-install-packages both need XWindows.  If my install fails and I am
left with just command line how do I finish getting things installed?  It
seems like the last thing that happens is the grub install.  Seems to me
that it would be better to get the base installed and working.  Then if
something doesn't work you still have a system that does.  Is there a
command line or tools that allow for something like:
system-install-packages "GNOME Desktop Environment"
that doesn't require a GUI?

Also when I install on a machine with Windows Grub lets me add that to my
list of things I can boot from.  But if I already have grub installed it
doesn't seem to allow me to add it's configuration to the new one.
I have been trying to be able to boot Fedora Core 5, Fedora Core 6 and
Fedora 7 all on the same machine.  It works, just that it requires a manual
process.  Can't grub or the installer see that grub is there and copy the
current configuration to the new one or ask me if I want to?

I must have a flaky DVD drive, media passes the test, but some times install
will fail at different places. FC5 chokes, FC6 will at least let you retry.
So things are getting better.

Thanks to everyone for their help!
Jerry Williams