Fedora 7 media sets

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Thu Feb 15 15:51:33 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 10:32 -0500, Andrew Parker wrote:
> >> Fedora 7 Everything. 2+ DVDs: "This would be the most at-risk and
> the most likely to fall off due to time pressure."
>
> i'm not aware of whats required to do this, but the concept sounds
> simple and not time consuming (use teh standard DVD and make 1+ DVDs
> with all the other RPMs).  could you enlighten me as to what the
> process and time involved is?  NB this is not a criticism, i just need
> enlightening.

Just putting the bits on the DVD isn't enough to be able to install from
it.  The metadata on the first disc has to encompass all of them, there
has to be some kind of reasonable way to opt-in to the fact that you've
got everything, package ordering could be ... interesting.  Also, the
fact that the metadata will have everything ends up meaning that the
memory requirements are higher due to "more bits".  Or how do you drop
the bits you no longer need.

It's just a few little things that are in high-impact areas so the
changes need to be made with a fair bit of care and testing.  And given
the schedule, I'm not that confident of being able to get them done.

Jeremy