Fedora 7 media sets

Joachim Frieben jfrieben at gmx.de
Fri Feb 16 07:02:38 UTC 2007

> > No, I haven't, but right now, I do not see how one would reduce
> > download volume by downloading packages and creating install media
> > locally instead of downloading the media in the first place .. (?)
>
> You download the needed packages once and use them to create multiple
> media sets, instead of downloading multiple media sets which contain
> duplicated data.

So what? The same holds for downloading the image files [(1 x "Core" + 1 X "Extras") / arch] and extracting packages locally at will to recompose them for a custom install class [At least if you feel the need to do so. Using an appropriate kickstart file would do the job as well without tinkering with the install media. So, I wonder what this spin frenzy is about]. This corresponds to the standard media as those distributed for earlier releases [albeit doubled by adding "Extras" now]. Moreover, this is the only way to make sure that you have access to all available packages after installing the system without relying on permanent and high speed network access.
Btw, I think nobody ever asked for all possible custom or contributed install classes to be mirrored as "ISO" images.